Wednesday 4 August 2010

Tuesday

You would have thought I would have learnt my lesson with the clock but no. I set the clock last night at the correct time and got up this morning to find that the coach had gone by about 5 minutes. So no breakfast this morning. I am going to have to sort it out or lose weight.
Luckily a nice young lady noticed and offered me a lift and we arrived at the same time as the coach.

I continued from where I left off yesterday and finished that particular spoil heap. I got plagued for the first time by insects but that was probably due to the spoil heaps being in the longer vegetation.
After the break I moved to another fresh spoil heap which was still in use. This was an easier task, because once I had caught up with the small pile already there, I had a moment to wait for the next barrow load and I filled in the between time running the detector over other heaps. They were done just as well as the others because I hardly had any signals and those I did get were mineralised rock or the odd small piece of iron fragment.

With the heap being fresh and in use, I had control of it's location in so much as when the barrow loads arrived, the students very obligingly placed the fresh spoil where ever I asked. Perfect!

I would like to say that it was a pleasure to work in among the various teams and the manners I experienced, where a credit to the individuals, their families and their various academic establishments. Thank you all.


A pleasant lunch break with a similar selection of filled rolls and fruit. Throughout the day we were encouraged to maintain a good supply of water, which was always available from one of the cabins.
I must say that I have never forced myself to drink so much in a long while but it was important, because it was easy to get dehydrated.

After lunch I went to do some work on area B and Claudia asked me to detect a small spoil heap being created by a gent who introduced himself as Tony. I suggested that he might want to do it and Claudia said that if I did not mind then he was welcome to have a go. Tony recovered 2 fragments of iron and 2 fragments of copper alloy dross or slag, all small but never the less I believe he enjoyed the experience.

After work we were informed that there would be a lecture in the evening about Roman Funerary and tombs, also Bioarchaeology and human osteology which was to be given by Jeffrey Becker and Kristina Killgrove. I attended the lecture and found it very informative.

After a pleasant dinner I settled down to bed and checked the clock, this time making sure it was right! I set it for 5am so that if anything went wrong I would still have time to get breakfast.


Buona notte

No comments:

Post a Comment