Tuesday 3 August 2010

Monday

Had a good sleep got up at 5.30am to be sure of meeting people and having breakfast!
Got dressed and went down to wait around the reception area hoping to meet someone. I did, I met the Managing Director of the site Jeffrey Becker, who introduced himself and to my surprise suggested I hurry and catch the coach which leaves in 10 minutes.
I had now missed breakfast. Must check that clock when I return.

Sat myself down on the coach and looked forward to the day ahead. We arrived at the site or as close to as the coach can get and walked the short distance remaining.
The first thing to greet me was the 'Temple of Juno' a very pleasant welcome.
I was introduced to Field Director Anna Gallone, Vice Field director Marcello Mogetta and other staff and field members during the course of my introduction to the site, it's history and the ongoing project.

After the introduction I was asked to see one of the Field Supervisors, Jamie Sewell
who explained what had been done by the previous detectorist and what he would like me to do.
I was shown 4 spoil heaps and the remains of a previous weeks heap to run the detector over. The spoils heaps were not too large and with the use of a shovel I was able to spread the soil and detect at my own speed. I must say that it was all I expected and more, to be able to work within the confines of an archaeological excavation, knowing that I was helping in my small way.
The heaps did not produce a lot, which in itself showed that the method already in use by the staff and members was very successful with locating as much as was possible with eyes and hands only.
I cannot say I was not disappointed, I was. Because as a detectorist I would have liked to have found something of note. However I was happy in the knowledge that I was doing what was asked and was experiencing what I would call a chance in a lifetime experience. Although I hope, not the only chance but the start of similar future involvement with archaeologists back home in England!

I did find a few pieces of iron barely recognisable without the detector a small fragment of appeared to be a coin and a thicker copper alloy piece with what appeared to be a coin embedded within it.

After lunch, which was a good selection of filled bread rolls and fruit, I was asked to speak to another Field Supervisor Claudia Melisch who asked me to go over a couple of the spoil heaps for the area that she supervised. Along side the heap I did was one that had been done previously I saw the way that it was set out and chose to use a different method, one that I had developed on the morning's work.


With the use of a shovel I was able to move and detect the entire heap while only increasing the original area used by approximately one third.
I finished one heap and proceeded onto another which I was unable to finish and hoped that I would return to it the next day.

My ideas of my first day.
Very enjoyable with very few finds,but the chance to get involved and also meet others while learning something new about the archaeological way of doing things. Seeing that the two can work together for the benefit all concerned.
Also a lovely view of the surrounding area all day, made it a very nice area to be working in.
Here are two views of some of the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment